Healing In The Kitchen
Perhaps of all the workshops and manuals that I have written in recent months, this is the most important. Not because it is full of great recipes, which it is, but because it underscores a philosophy of eating that can nourish and rebuild the body. Far too often people visit the doctor, health practitioner or counselor for treatment and advice only to come away without the positive changes in their life they are seeking. And while treatments can certainly have impact and be significant, it is only through continued change that many of life's challenges can be turned around.
The world in which we live can be so complex and confusing. It is difficult to know whose "facts" to trust and who is simply trying to sell you a bill of goods, particularly if you are stressed or fearful of your health situation. Many have spent thousands of hard earned dollars only to come up disappointed and confused as to where to turn next. One of the problems is that we have been conditioned to look for "the cure". The drug, the herb, the designer supplement, the therapy, surgery or procedure that resolves the difficulty that faces us. I have found that true health and healing rarely is found in the "one shot approach". It is for this purpose, my Healing @ Home workshops encompass five different areas of health and healing.
1) Herbal First Aid and Healthcare - for me the herbal approach is a solid foundation for turning around health problems and working with someone who may be in crisis regarding their health. My book of the same title offers a good introduction to the world of using herbs for the treatment of specific health concerns and conditions.
2) Allergy Elimination - I have learned through my nearly three decades of treating patients, that good health boils down to three things 1) What Goes In - food, drink and what we put into our mind, 2) What Come Out - elimination of toxins, and 3) Programming -habits and physiologic patterns that for good or ill affect how the body runs. This is where allergies fit in. Many peoples bodies react inappropriately to normal things. Our Allergy Elimination program teaches how to turn this around so that petting the cat or eating the popcorn no longer signals the alarm resulting in an overreaction of the immune system.
3) Cold Laser Therapy - I stumbled on to this very beneficial home therapy quite accidently (of course there are no accidents). This inexpensive handheld laser light has been proven to increase circulation, decrease inflammation, stimulated nerve repair and function, speed the healing of wounds, reduce pain and reduce the formation of scars. It is really remarkable, easy to use and is helping so very many who have attended our workshop or purchased our manual and laser.
4) Emotion, Angels & Energy - Health cannot be complete without the mental, emotional, spiritual component. After all, truly we are spiritual beings having a human experience. We are subject to a multiplicity of emotional and spiritual interactions daily. Because of this, it is important that we understand the world of trapped emotions. Emotions for which we did not have the support, experience or skills to adequately deal with often are suppressed by the subconscious mind only to result in physical or mental symptoms. Simple and effective procedures have been developed to assist in the "letting go" of these unbeneficial emotions. Additionally, we can be influenced by forces in the unseen world - specifically angels and devils. While some may discredit such a notion, my experience has proven otherwise. I feel that a knowledge of protecting ourselves spiritually and surrounding ourselves with goodness and light is a significant aspect of health and healing.
5) Healing In the Kitchen - more important than understanding what to eat is WHY. When we truly "get it" as far as food and nutrition, then we will be able to adapt and change in ways that following a recipe cannot give us. Understanding time tested traditional methods of preparing delicious and nutritious foods will motivate and inspire you to becoming a fountain of knowledge and goodness. Truth be told, not everyone will become a great cook and baker. But I believe each of us can become very good in the kitchen. It is my sincerest desire that you can develop an understanding of food preparation, rather than just know how to cook.
Admittedly this approach may not be complete, however they represent my best effort to date of pulling together what I have learned and felt prompted to share. Health is not a fair proposition. There are many who openly and admittedly do not take care of their health, yet enjoy energy vitality and that ideal weight. While others who meticulously fret after every nuance of what enters their bodies (physically, mentally and spiritually) seem to be compounded with one health challenge after another. Understand that we all have trials and challenges in life. With the exponential advance of toxicity (chemicals which include GMO's, pollution and electromagnetic fields), mental and emotional stresses coupled with a harried and frantic pace of life, it is doubly important that we attempt to calm the troubled waters and listen. Listen, not to the constant barking of the purveyors of the latest greatest cure or quick fix, but listen to that inner voice. The voice that loves and cares for us and only speaks the truth.
Your journey truly is a spiritual one. The path can only be found and followed by heeding to the subtle urgings of that "still small voice". But as you begin to base your decisions more on feelings of what is good and right, the way will become clearer and clearer. As you incorporate into your life and daily routine healthy practices and habits, the energy and purpose of life will return. Your life is not to be one of myopic consumption of restoring YOUR health - although for many it necessitates that to be the first order of business. Rather, our lives are to be poured out in service. Or as I have recounted again and again - To Be The Grandma (or Grandpa). To become the one who is there for others within your circle of influence - to help and bless and nurture. And as you rise with knowledge and experience, we expect you to be passing down to the rising generations that wisdom.
I understand that not everyone is called to this work. But a lot of us are. You will know by that same inner voice nudging and urging you to learn and practice. As we fall forward and headlong into the coming millennia, understand that we are transitioning into a new era. One that I believe will be wondrous and glorious. However, we've got some challenging and rough times directly ahead of us that will best be navigated and guided by the Spirit.
I invite you to get involved. Practice, experiment and share what you learn. The knowledge and information within these manuals is not to help you get rich or assist you in becoming more prominent. We are to quietly and humbly serve. We are to be "in the trenches" so to speak or more accurately at the bedside and in the kitchen. Let those who claw and scramble for prestige and importance in the eyes of others embark in that crusade. Let us (you and I) quietly and humbly serve the Lord as we are guided by His Spirit.
Kyle Christensen, DC, ND, MH